It’s time to get to know another fine member of the Asheville Triathlon Club. This time we’re featuring Tamra Hawes, one of our newer members. Learn a little bit about Tamra now:
1. How did you get interested in triathlon?
I joined the YWCA in June of 2012 and saw the triathlon training group info on the bulletin board. I thought it sounded cool, and at that time I had a year to get ready so I figured, why not?
2. Tell us about your first race.
My first race was the Asheville Triathlon last year. I was so excited to finally be doing it. My goal was to not flame out (she totally didn’t).
3. Did you play any sports before this?
I never played any sports in school, I did marching band (note: ex-marching-banders around the world would argue that marching band is at least quasi-athletic. You try moving backwards in a precise line while playing an instrument)! I did ballet all through school though, which certainly kept me in shape.
4. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
When I was a kid, I wanted to be a scientist.
5. What’s your favorite thing about triathlon?
My favorite thing about triathlon is doing all the events. I feel like I would not want to do a big bike, or run or swim race, but I love doing all 3. (we can’t argue with that – great answer!)
6. If you could eat one thing the rest of your life, what would it be?
Totally pizza. Enough said.
7. Top 3 songs on your playlist?
- Jimi Hendrix’s cover of “Like a Rolling Stone”
- Richard Thompson “Vincent Black L”
- Jerry Garcia “That’s What Love Will Make You Do”
8. One race you’d love to do someday?
I wouldn’t want to do the “Palio de Siena” (this is the horse race in Siena, Italy that was at the beginning of James Bond Quantum of Solace), but would love to be a spectator!
I had to look this up – this is held twice per year in Siena, with jockeys riding bareback around tight turns, and apparently it’s typical for the horses to finish the race without their rider.
9. Ice cream or cookies?
10. Pool or ocean?
11. What’s on your perfect sandwich?
My perfect sandwich is the BLAT from Sunny Point. It’s an avocado BLT on a croissant. Mmmm sounds tasty.
12. What’s your favorite holiday?
That would have to be Thanksgiving.
Thanks Tamra! We’ll see you out there at the races.